Monday, March 12, 2007

Frustrations and death and life.

Some times web pages which require the user to log in end up frustrating me. I have entered my password and user name only to be not quite able to decode the letters I need to type in to prove that I am a real pserson and not a spam bot. Errrgh! Today I heard that typing in a series of letters to prove the user is human may be a thing of the past. Spam bots which post spam messages are getting too good at optical character recognition and can identify the letters. In the future I understand we will be presented with picture recognition. We will be asked the name of an item in a picture, i.e. a coffee cup, pencil, car, cat. Picture recognition is still hard for non-human spam bots to accomplish. Now maybe logins will be simpler---if only I can remember how to spell pensil???

Today was a warm spring day and the snow has begun to melt. Also today a friend's cat died at the age of eighteen. This has got me thinking about life and death. Soon the snow will be gone and the bulbs planted in our front garden will begin to appear, some of the earliest actually appear before all the snow has melted. All around there is a sense that the death of winter is morphing into the new life of spring.

I am not totally clear with my thoughts in this post. Pardon me if I ramble a bit. With the death of my friend's cat I have been reflecting on death more than usual. I think about my parents who are now in their 80's. Death is something I will have to deal with sooner than later given their advanced ages. But death is not something I dread, even if it is a close loved one such as a parent. Death enables new life. Just as winter comes to an end and slowly spring replaces the dead of winter so I believe that when a person dies after a long life their death makes way for the new life after they are gone.

It will be hard when my parents die. I will grieve and hurt for awhile, but I don't think i will be sad. Death is natural and a part of the way things should be.

One more comment about y friend and her Cat. It is pefectly natural to be sad when our much loved pet dies. These animals were an important part of our lives for many years. They loved us unconditionally. How could we not grieve when a treasured member of our family dies, even if it is a four legged furry friend, a cat or dog.

Aside--my radio just began playing Pacabel's Cannon...this tune is very emotional for me...combined with the news of the death of my friend's cat leaves me in a very reflective mood about death,.....and life.

2 comments:

Cat said...

Paul,
You are so blessed to have your parents still alive! Ivan's parents are both long gone, and as you know, my mom has been gone for so very long, too. Hopefully your parents will be around for quite a bit longer. Make sure you enjoy their presence as much as you can.
Thanks again for your kind words about my Kipper! You're very very sweet.

Paul said...

Thanks for the kind words Cat. It took me a while to notice you left this comment. Yes it is a blessing to still have my parents, even if they do live far away in Toronto and we only manage to get together once a year. Fortunately I enjoy unlimited long distance telephone calls after 5pm so we are able to keep in touch.

Once our parents are gone, hopefully we will be able to cherish the good memories of times shared. I know most of my memories will be good ones. I am blessed to have had the best of parents.